Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Inspiration Part 1 - Wool Mill Ruins





Welcome Back!

        Over the past few months, I have been helping my lovely wife Linda with her new business. One of the ways I assist her is with vendor events; I load up the car, drive her to various locations and help her set up her booth. While she is doing her thing, I am left to my own devices. Up to now, I have been using this time by reading or writing.
        Recently, I have discovered another interesting way to pass the time: exploring! Many of these vendor events are in small towns and rural villages. Many of which have historical sites, abandoned vehicles or deserted buildings. I have found that this sightseeing can be good inspirational material for writing.

           So with this in mind, I came up with a new type of post: Inspiration! These entries will contain photos of my travels, of interesting locations i have come across or just other randoms things that help get my imagination going.

        My first location was a historical site in the town of Merrickville, Ontario. Some parts of these old ruins were blocked off to the public for safety reasons, but other parts were open, allowing me to get inside the actual remains.

  
 

        Some parts of these ruins give me the impression of being a castle that suffered an attack, it’s walls broken down. But this location was actually a mill. Here is the details on the historical plaque:

“Built in 1844 -Woolen mill leased to Thomas Watchorn - later bought - ran until Nov. 1, 1954 - 106 years - standing on the upper floor, you could feel the floor move as the shuttles were thrown back and forth in the looms - there had been 2 fires and so the mortar had become unstable, resulting in its closure.”

        Hope this has inspired some of you! I look forward to posting more pictures of my future explorations!

Until next time!

Cheers,

Patrick Osborne
(edited on 2015-12-22)



No comments:

Post a Comment