Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Friday, June 3, 2016

Current Projects 17


Welcome back!


          This past month has been awesome! Filled with new experiences, challenges, and new friends. Though I did not manage to stick to all of my plans, I feel that what I did get done opened so many more doors for me. So let’s get right to it.
 



      To begin, I would like to share with you the comic book related project which I collaborated on, entitled Alter-Ego. Library and Archives Canada (LAC) is currently hosting this exhibition, which showcases Canadian related content, contributions and creators throughout the history of comics. The exhibition features reproductions of art by Canadian artists such as Adrian Dingle, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Darwyn Cooke, and John Byrne.


      This project initially arrived in our department during my first month in the Copyright department, and had been assigned to one of my colleagues. I immediately requested this assigned, even though my manager believed it may be too difficult for someone who just started at this job. My response to her was ‘’I will have to learn how to do these types of projects eventually, might as well learn doing one on a subject I love’’. I was assigned to the project that same day.


            This project proved not only to be a great learning experience in terms of copyright, but gave me the opportunity to meet many great people in the field of comic books as well. While contacting copyright owners, I got to talk to Richard Comely, creator of Captain Canuck. During the grand opening of the exhibit, I met Mark Shainblum, creator of Northguard and Jay Odjick, creator of Kagagi. My inner fanboy went nuts when my responsibilities required me to contact the larger american comic book companies such as DC, Marvel and Image. My interactions with all of them has given me valuable insight into the world of comic book publishing.


 
 


              In order to help promote this exhibition, LAC set up a booth at this year's Ottawa Comiccon. I had the pleasure of working two of the three days at the event, and had a great time doing so. It was really busy, so I did not manage to take as many pictures as I would have liked, but we did succeed in generating interest for our exhibit. Plus we had to opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people, like this fellow who was kind enough to pose in front of our booth.




Now on to my other projects.


The only work I have done this month in regards to Missing Worlds Media, was review other peoples content. I am currently still waiting on feedback from higher management regarding the Heroic and Villainous paths I have submitted, and if they need changes. Speaking of missions, missing Worlds Media recently shared details about about how missions will operate in the game.




             So in terms of my own book, I have made progress on a few things. My decision to slow down my blogging has helped a bit, but my job, responsibilities and now camping season seem to be eating a lot of my time. So recently I decided to try something new: finding time everyday to write at least one paragraph. It might not sound like a lot, but one small paragraph is better than no progress at all, which sadly was the case for many days.


            This new goal allowed me to fill in several more chapters on my timeline spreadsheet.  This is important, as adding details to the timeline will help me envision the direction my story needs to go in.


Also this past month, I am nearing completion of my first antagonist character, who will go by the name Ivan Maddox. He will be playing the role of an intimidating henchman in the service of the main arch-villain. All of his background details have been filled out, and I have almost completed his personal history. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the month.


One last note before wrapping up this update, I wanted to share the websites of just a few of the artists I had the honor of interacting with while working on the comic book exhibit.


That is all I have to report for this month. I want to thank everyone for taking the time to visit my blog, it is truly appreciated. Also, a special thank you to my colleagues at Library and Archives Canada, for the privilege of working on the Alter-Ego project and the Comiccon booth, I had a great time.


Until next time.


Cheer,

            Patrick Osborne


***all photos in this article are ©Patrick Osborne 2016***

No comments:

Post a Comment