Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Interview - Glen D. Kirkpatrick

Welcome back!


This month’s interview is with the newly published writer, Glen Kirkpatrick. I met Mister Kirkpatrick after he replied to one of my Facebook requests. He gladly volunteered to answer my questions and discuss various aspects of writing .


June 2016 marks the ten year anniversary of my mother's passing. Having lost a parent to cancer, I felt inspired after reading through Glen’s interview. His determination, optimism and way of seeing things in the face of such a life altering event, not just once but on three separate occasions, is truly amazing. It is my pleasure to share his knowledge with you all today.


Now on to the interview!


Short Bio: GLEN D. KIRKPATRICK, JR. and his wife Debbie, make their home in San Diego County, CA. He is a three time, 28 year cancer survivor, living with the late effects of radiation and chemotherapy. Glen writes about overcoming life's obstacles, faith, and family.


Living with chronic illness has taught Glen many things. Including the importance of finding joy in each day, and the significance of living in the now. Even in the moment.


Glen's short story "Outlier", can be found in the July/August 2013 issue of Coping with Cancer magazine. copingmag.com/cwc/index.php/feature_article/outlier. His hope filled article, "Gift of Life", can be found at reimagine.me/editorial/magazine/gift-of-life


Published Works: The three chapters in this e-book are taken from Overcome:  A Story of Intervention, Rescue, and Redemption, which my wife Debbie and I hope to publish later in 2016.


Current Project: Overcoming Daily, My Story of Surviving Cancer Overcome, A Story of Intervention, Rescue, and Redemption.                


Website: Overcome



image





Glen D. Kirkpatrick, Jr., Writer, Solana Beach, CA

Preview by Yahoo




When did you begin writing?


It was 1979, when I entered the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Academy. I continued to write police reports during my twenty year law enforcement career. In 2009, I started working on my memoir.


Did you receive any special training or attend a school?


On the job training during my professional law enforcement career.


Where do you get your inspiration from?


My cancer journey served to inspire me to write my memoir. Writing my manuscript has proven to be a life review. Psychology Dictionary defines life review this way, "the process of reviewing an individual's past performance or handling of a situation, this is mainly observed in adults looking back over decisions they have made in their life" (psychologydictionary.org).  


I believed my book would inspire others to persevere in the face of life's obstacles. As well as look to God and his word for hope, courage and joy while facing their troubles.


Do you use any special resources when writing? (other books, computer programs, etc.)


The Bible for scripture relevant to chapter topics. I review how other non-fiction books are formatted to help me choose how to best format my memoir. I use the internet to conduct research, review/buy Kindle books on self-publishing. I search Amazon to see the books offered in  my books genre to include, Cancer Memoir; Christian Inspiration.


What is (in your opinion) the most important thing to remember when writing, and why is it so important?


Write from the heart. Strive for excellence. Believe you will be published. Because you have a story tell that no one else can tell. Don't edit yourself when writing the first draft. Let the words flow. Your subsequent drafts and professional editing will bring about your final polished copy ready for publication.


What is (in your opinion) the most challenging part of writing, and how do you overcome it?


Remaining focused on your writing over months or even years. Staying focused on your goal of completing your manuscript and having it published.  


Did you use an agent? (why or why not?)


No. I self published my first book. When my second books ready to be published I may consult a literary agent


Did you use an Editor? If not, what process did you use to edit your work?


Yes.


How did you get your book published?


Self published as a Kindle book.


Do you handle your own marketing?


Yes.


What is your best marketing tip?


Study the subject of marketing a self published book. Plenty of free resources can be found on the web and on several Facebook groups.


Do you have any advice for other writers?


Enjoy your writing. If you're working on a manuscript complete it. Even if it takes you one or more years to do so. Use an experienced editor to help ready your book for publication. Learn pre and post book launch marketing. Start writing your next book while your editor is working on the preceding one. Celebrate each victory along the way.


I hope everyone found this interview as helpful and informative as I did. I would also like to thank Glen Kirkpatrick for taking this interview, it is very much appreciated.


Until Next time,

          Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment