Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Interview - Brian Woods


Welcome back,


               For this month's interview, we have the pleasure of meeting published author, Brian Woods. I have met Brian on one of the many Facebook writing pages. He has done many collaborations, and his short stories appear in several publications. Like so many other authors, he finds time to balance writing with a full time day job.


An image posted by the author.
Brian Woods

An image posted by the author.


Short Bio: Computer Programmer by day, Author by night. I spend my days enveloped in the world of vb.net, FoxPro, and other db2 languages. At night though, I am able to spin tales and weave stories.


Published Works: Tales of Suruale, and many more.


Current Projects: Valkron Chronicles




When did you begin writing?


2001 I started working on short stories, but I attempted poetry in the mid 1990s.


Did you receive any special training or attend a school?


I have attended a few creative writing courses, but nothing major.


Where do you get your inspiration from?


Anything, everything, it just hits me and I write an outline. Later, the story.


Do you use any special resources when writing? (other books, computer programs, etc)


Microsoft Word.


What is (in your opinion) the most important thing to remember when writing, and why is it so important?


Finish the book, and then polish. If you polish as you go, then you'll never finish.


What is (in your opinion) the most challenging part of writing, and how do you overcome it?


Staying focused on the story. Turn off Facebook, TV, internet, and get away from everyone!


Did you use an agent? (why or why not?)


No. I believe certain authors benefit from agents, and some don't. I feel I am one of the don'ts.


Did you use an Editor? If not, what process did you use to edit your work?


I have access to 5 literary editors.


How did you get your book published? (self-published, Vanity publishing, Mainstream publisher).


Small presses mostly. JEA, Harren Press, ACA Books, and a few others.


Do you handle your own marketing?


Mostly my marketing is just me talking to people and going to conventions as a writer guest.


What is your best marketing tip?


Always be promoting!


Do you have any advice for other writers?


Don't quit your day job :)


I found Brian’s answers to be concise and straightforward, which is a refreshingly uncomplicated approach. I hope everyone found this interview informative, and I would like to thank Brian Woods for taking the time to take this interview. Your participation was very much appreciated.


Until Next time.


Cheers,

            Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment