Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Interview - Andy Peloquin


Greetings!



Welcome to my blog’s second writer interview. Today, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you, Andy Peloquin.


I met Mr. Peloquin via a Facebook page called The Better Writer’s Group, as he was kind enough to respond to my search for writers to interview. He claims being new to the business and is still learning and growing as he goes, but is more than willing to share his knowledge in the following interview.



Short Bio: Andy Peloquin--a third culture kid to the core--has loved to read since before he could remember. Sherlock Holmes, the Phantom of the Opera, and Father Brown are just a few of the books that ensnared his imagination as a child.


When he discovered science fiction and fantasy through the pages of writers like Edgar Rice Burroughs, J.R.R Tolkien, and Orson Scott Card, he was immediately hooked and hasn't looked back since.


Reading—and now writing—is his favorite escape, and it provides him an outlet for his innate creativity. He is an artist; words are his palette.


Published Works: The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer


 
Current Projects: The Last Bucelarii (Book 2): Lament of the Fallen  




When did you begin writing?

I "officially" kicked off my writing career at the age of 25, but I have been writing since the age of 8 or 9. It started with the basics (short stories, poetry), and I attempted my first novel at 16. Of course, I promptly deleted it after Chapter 10, and didn't finish anything until the age of 25.


Did you receive any special training or attend a school?

No special training, no education beyond high school. Just a lot of hard work, a bit of natural talent, and a willingness to learn and grow with every sentence I write!


Where do you get your inspiration from?

Where DON'T I get it from? I've gotten ideas from funny pictures, video games, movies, books, comic books, billboards, and milk cartons! You never know when inspiration will strike--you just have to be ready to flow with it!


Do you use any special resources when writing? (other books, computer programs, etc)

Between Microsoft Word and Google Chrome, I have everything I need to write! I keep it simple, organize all my notes in Word, and do any necessary research on the internet.


What is (in your opinion) the most important thing to remember when writing, and why is it so important?

Characters are SO much more important than plot. A good story can be lame without a great character, but a great character can turn even the most mundane situation into something that will grip you right up until "The End".


What is (in your opinion) the most challenging part of writing, and how do you overcome it?

One of the hardest things for me is to find the "right" character flaw for my characters. Use the wrong one, and it can alienate your readers right off the bat. But finding the right flaw will endear the readers to your characters, even when he/she does horrible things!


Did you use an agent? (why or why not?)

I didn't use an agent for this first book in the series, because I wanted to get it out there. I didn't rush through the editing process, but I didn't want to wait around for years to get the book published. That being said, now that I have this book published, I am shopping around for an agent that can help me get it and future works into the right hands.


Did you use an Editor? If not, what process did you use to edit your work?

I ABSOLUTELY used an editor! As good as we think we are at spotting mistakes, a fresh pair of eyes (or three) is always a must.


How did you get your book published? (self-published, Vanity publishing, Mainstream publisher).

It was published by a small indie press, J. Ellington Ashton Press. They are a horror-focused publisher, so the dark fantasy novel was a great fit!


Do you handle your own marketing?
I do handle my own marketing, something I and most writers have a hard time with. It's tough to set aside precious writing time to find and interact with new readers, but it's vital for the success of any writer!


What is your best marketing tip?

Be friendly and get to know people before you try to market/sell your writing to them. People are much more inclined to buy from a new author if they like him/her or what they have to say. Don't smack people over the head with your marketing or promotions, but get to know people and make friends first!


Do you have any advice for other writers?

Prepare for a long, long road ahead! A VERY small percentage of writers "succeed" in the highly competitive world, and it takes a lot of luck, hard work, and time to find your success. Settle in for the long haul, and you have a better chance of surviving your career as a writer!


I hope everyone found this interview as helpful and informative as I did. I would also like to thank Andy Peloquin for taking the time out of his busy schedule to take this interview, it is very much appreciated.


Until Next time,

Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment