Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Interview - King Author Royale

Welcome back!


Like my previous writer interviews, I met this month’s author after he replied to one of my requests on Facebook. He not only writes books, but is the founder of a publishing company. So it is my great pleasure to introduce you, King Author Royale.


    When King originally told me the title of his book, I will be honest, I had to look up what hoomomultiamory meant. It is a term I had never heard of before. After reading up on the subject, I gained a deep respect for the man. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been writing a book on such a sensitive subject.


    Even though his subject matter may be controversial, it is still centered on relationships, which fits my theme for February quite nicely. A happy coincidence indeed. So on to the interview.




Short Bio: King Royale is a multi-genre writer from New Jersey and founder of The Royale Press publishing company. He has been a hobby writer for over 15 years.  In 2013, he organized Royale Readings - a writing group for local indie and aspiring authors.  His newly published project #HOMOMULTIAMORY: Love ‘Em All is a self-help book which outlines polyamory for the homosexual culture. This highly controversial topic marks this book as a sure-fire hit – one which is expected to attract the opinions of many.


Published Works: #HOMOMULTIAMORY: Love 'Em All


Current Projects: The Game That Kidd Plays: #FINDINGWADE




The Royale Press, LLC


When did you begin writing?


I remember the exact moment I began writing. I was about 12 years old. I was in the town laundromat with my father and younger brother.


Did you receive any special training or attend a school?


Oddly, I never sought any formal training. In 7th grade my Language Arts teacher assigned a writing project that she helped us to perfect if that counts. (chuckles)


Where do you get your inspiration from?


I am so easily inspired. Someone can say something and I'm like, "That can be a title for a good book." then I come up with a whole plot theme. I get inspired from all kinds of thing but mostly it's a drive to create something from inside my head.


Do you use any special resources when writing?


The only "special resource" I use when writing is a playlist I created to listen to while I'm working. Oh, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have to be comfortable while I'm writing. (...lol...)


What is (in your opinion) the most important thing to remember when writing, and why is it so important?


To always stay true to what you want to do. Never be afraid to be creative. No one has the right to dictate your imagination.


What is (in your opinion) the most challenging part of writing, and how do you overcome it?


The most challenging part of writing sometimes can be that infamous block we writers experience. Yes, it is real. You’re a writer too Patrick; you know it's real.


Did you use an agent?


I did not use an agent. I wanted the responsibility of learning how to do what I needed to do by doing it myself.  In the future I may seek out some agents... or vise-versa.


Did you use an Editor? If not, what process did you use to edit your work?


I did use an editor. Jessica Barrow of S&B Manuscript Editing And Critique. She is amazing and I expect to be working with her for quite a while. In fact she's currently working on my new project. I think any good writer will be humble enough to realize we are not editors (the majority of us). Our expertise is writing not editing.


How did you get your book published?


Well I started my own publishing company and published my book through it, so I guess that would qualify as self publishing. I did publish online through Amazon.com and Createspace.


Do you handle your own marketing?


Yes. I felt in order to run a publishing company and publish for other novelist/authors, I have to be hands on. I do what I have to do. I'm definitely still learning but I'm getting it.


What is your best marketing tip?


DO NOT try to do everything yourself. There are people out there who have the qualifications and skills you need; seek them out. Social Media is your friend.


Do you have any advice for other writers?


(thinks for a moment) Honestly no. We are all different and what I can imagine, you can't, and what you can imagine, I can't.  The only "advice" I have is Keep Writing.


What challenges did you encounter writing about a controversial subject?


People's understanding. That was a challenge. Because I had to speak with SEVERAL people (every kind of person) and had to reveal some of my personal life choices, to be through, I subjected myself to some really hard and hurtful judgements. But in the end it was worth it.  I came out with a great book. (knods)


Hopefully everyone will take something away from this interview. I know I was inspired, and this interview has made me realise just how hard some writers have to work at their craft. I would also like to give a heartfelt thanks to King Author Royale for taking the time to take this interview.


Until Next time,

Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment