Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Current Projects 18


Welcomes back,



Another busy month here, as our family tries to find balance between our summer schedule, work, chores and play. Surprisingly enough, despite everything we had going on this month, I still managed to find some time to get a decent amount of work done. So let me show you what I have been up to.





            When I started advertising my content using social media, I discovered the importance of adding visuals to attract readers. Adding a simple picture like the one above got me twice as many viewers as my original ‘pictureless’ posts. So I signed up to a free stock image website called StockSnap.io, and began creating my own publicity using pictures they send in their newsletters. I have made half a dozen so far, and you can see them mainly on my Twitter posts. Don’t worry, all the images used are free of any copyright restrictions.


Regarding this month’s content, I was trying to think of an appropriate theme for July. With historical holidays like Canada Day and Independence Day, I’m looking to see how history can inspire literature. I currently have a Writing Prompt post lined up which will use historical references, and will be working on creating more historical content within the next few days.


Speaking of adding content, I have created a new page which will be accessible later this month. It is based on an idea I had a few months, when I realised that reading more was a great way to expand my vocabulary, given that I am french reading english novels. On several occasions, I had to look up a definition because I was unfamiliar with a certain word. Unfortunately, I realised that looking up a word isn’t enough, as I often forget it later on. The best way to remember a new word is to use it, so I decided to create a Definition Page. This will be a place for me to write down new words, their definition, and use them. Hopefuly this will be an effective way for me to memorise their meaning and expand my horizons.
   
          Which leads me to segue number two: new experiences that affect writing. This month Linda and I started doing a lot of renos in order to get her future studio ready. Though this may not seem to have anything to do with writing, any experience can contribute to inspiration, so it depends on how you look at it. By tearing a building apart, you gain a better understanding of how things break. I find this can come in handy when writing scenes where buildings are being destroyed. Not to mention physical labor can help burn tension, and repetitive actions can sometimes stimulate imagination. Also, Linda and I have a quid pro quo understanding; I help her with her business, she then helps me with my writing. So both of us are winners!




   

   
         In regards of my novel, I finally completed the write up of my first villain, Ivan Maddox, also known as Torment. He will be playing the role of muscle bound henchman to a much more fearsome villain, whom I have not fully written up yet. With him now in my completed pile, I have moved on to my next character; Ana Fernandez. Ana will be an ally to my main protagonist, and will fill several important roles within the storyline. Though I cannot go into details now (don’t want to reveal any spoilers), what can be said is she will be a free-spirited type character, who will also be the brains of the group. I thought having a character who was highly intelligent yet not particularly wise would make an interesting contrast.


         In terms of my work with Missing Worlds Media, I am still waiting for review on some of my submissions. A combination of backlog, deadlines and priorities seem to keep bumping my work back in the publishing line. This is sadly a fact of life when working in a bigger organization, so despite my work not being showcased now, I trust it will be later on. So for now I spend my allotted time for MWM by reviewing other people's work. I also asked the Head of the Composition Department if they had any other assignments floating around for me to work on.


Happy Canada Day and Independence Day!


That is all for this month. In closing, I want to thank my family and friends for all their support, and everyone for taking the time to visit my blog, it is truly appreciated. I am wishing you all a happy Canada Day and Independence Day from the comfort of my campsites deck while sipping pina coladas.


Until next time.


Cheers,

            Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment