Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Inspiration Part 3 - Port Elmsley



Hello Again!


    Welcome to my latest blog post about inspirational sources. Today, we shall take a look at pictures I had taken during one of Linda’s vendor events in the quiet little town of Port Elmsley, Ontario. This community that is part of the Township of Drummond/North Elmsley, and is just celebrating their 200 year anniversary.


    While I was walking around town, I saw a quite a few older buildings; some that were restored and a few that were left to fend for themselves against the elements. You could really feel the history emanating from these structures. The pictures that follow vary from town homes, community centers and ruins. The area was also rich with farm fields and swamp lands.


All of the following locations can be visited by simply walking down the town's main road.




The buildings that are still in use, though they appear to have been renovated many times over the years, still retain much of their rustic charm. These houses, which date back to the towns inauguration in the mid 1800’s, serve as good reference for authors working on a period piece of literature.The buildings that are still in use, though they appear to have been renovated many times over the years, still retain much of their rustic charm. Another thing that stands out are the many fences, which still stand today regardless of having been erected several decades ago.





Here we can also find the remains of an old stone structure by the side of a river. Not entirely clear on what the purpose of this building was since there is only one wall still standing, but its proximity to water leads me to believe it was some sort of working station. Ruins like these always come in handy to describe items such as destroyed buildings or post apocalyptic ruins.
 


    And finally we have the presence of nature itself. Areas within this community are still untouched, leaving the elements in their natural state. I came to this town in the early spring, so the weather was bleak, giving the scenery a greyish, slightly ominous tone to it. Places like forests, riversides and marshlands could be visited, and (in this case) serve as good inspiration for eerie type stories.


    Hope you enjoyed today’s exploration. I have been getting a lot of older structures lately, so I will be trying to get something different for future posts. Until then, get out there and get inspired!


Cheers!

Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment