Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Interview - S. Jean Brenner

Greetings!


Welcome to this month's writer interview. While networking, I got the honor of meeting S. Jean Brenner, author of the Life Blood series, who kindly volunteered to answer some of my questions.


During my short interactions with her, she came across as a very polite, honest and kind hearted person, quite willing to assist other writers on their journey. I am delighted for the opportunity to have her on my blog.


Short Bio: S. Jean Brenner is the author of the new dynamic, adventure, mystery series Life Blood. The best selling first in the series, Life Blood is followed by two stunning sequels, Bleeding Heart and Pure Blooded, now available as paperback and ebooks.  


Published Works: The Life Blood series. (Life Blood, Bleeding Heart, Pure Blooded)


   


Current Projects: "In Gray" under the name Sara J. Bernhardt.




When did you begin writing?


I have been writing since before I can remember. I've been publishing poetry and short fiction since before I was twelve. It has always been a passion of mine.


Did you receive any special training or attend a school?


I have not gone to a writing school, only because there is not one near me.  I have taken several creative writing classes and college English courses.


Where do you get your inspiration from?


I get my inspiration from anything around me, including my dreams.  My biggest inspiration is a dream I call "Adam." I have been dreaming about him most of my life and he is definitely my muse.


Do you use any special resources when writing? (other books, computer programs, etc)


I don't use any special resources but I do have a charm that my sister gave me. It's a pendant with Saint Paul.  When I am having trouble or am feeling blocked, it helps me find my inspiration.


What is (in your opinion) the most important thing to remember when writing, and why is it so important?


I think the most important thing to remember when writing is that nothing is ever perfect. It's okay that not everyone will love what you do.  That doesn't mean it isn't quality work.


What is (in your opinion) the most challenging part of writing, and how do you overcome it?


The biggest challenge for any writer, I think, is self doubt.  Between our own insecurities and bad reviews, we all feel it sometimes.  It's important to remember that it's normal, and you have to push through it.


Did you use an agent, and how did you get your book published?


I did not go through an agent because I don't believe I need one enough to share my royalties.


Did you use an Editor? If not, what process did you use to edit your work?


I edit my own works but I also have an editor who works for my publisher.


How did you get your book published? (self-published, Vanity publishing, Mainstream publisher).


I have a traditional, small press publisher but am getting with someone better soon.


Do you handle your own marketing?


I do handle my own marketing.


What is your best marketing tip?


My best marketing tip is to not try to hard to sell things to people, but rather to just talk to people. I am on several writing sites and I talk to a lot of people and offer my help and tips for fellow aspiring writers.


What advice do you have for other writers?


My best advice is simple. Never give up!


Once again, I would like to thank Jean for taking this interview, her participation is truly appreciated. Hopefully everyone found it as helpful and inspiring as I did.


Until Next time,


Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment